Arts Club of Washington
Dec 5, 2009
Secretary of State James Monroe and his wife were residents here before the British invasion in 1814. They filled the house with furnishings acquired when Monroe served as America's minister to France, and the couple's taste and hospitality greatly impressed their Washington guests. After Monroe was inaugurated in March 1817, the house served as the president's residence until the war-damaged executive mansion on Pennsylvania Avenue was fully restored in September of that year.